Top 3 Tips to Redo Your Kitchen Cabinets on a Budget
Cabinet updates are never just about appearance but also about functionality. Form and function are the winning combination of every modern kitchen, and if you’re setting out on a remodeling journey, you’d better go for both of them.
But, how to give the existing cabinets a twist without replacing them or losing half of the home renovation budget? If you’re wondering if your cabinets are up to sniff or where to start your home remodel with your kitchen in Plano, TX, contacting trusted kitchen remodelers might help since they can give you helpful tips or handle this for you.
Nonetheless, there are a few simple tips that can help you learn how to tackle kitchen storage updates for a fraction of the cost. Let’s dive right in!
How can I update my kitchen cabinets without replacing them?
Updating your kitchen cabinets without removing them doesn’t have to be complicated. Here are a few guidelines::
- Remove the knobs or any other embellishments.
- With a sanding sponge, sand off the cabinets, and give some extra attention to the areas around the knobs and corners.
- Once you’re done, wipe down the cabinets carefully from dust and dirt.
- Choose the paint you want and start painting with thin strokes.
- Use smaller brushes to tackle the hinges and narrow spaces.
- Wait at least 4-6 hours before repainting them. However, letting your first coat dry overnight might be even a better solution because it will allow you to see where to put additional paint.
- Apply the second coat and the third one, if necessary. If the original cabinets’ color is too dark, 2-3 coats of paint is usually required to cover the old layer.
- Let it all dry completely.
- Place back the knobs and enjoy your new cabinets.
How to redo kitchen cabinets on a budget?
Giving your cabinets a new look is a great way to freshen up your entire kitchen and add more value without spending too much. There are numerous stylish ideas that you can explore, including these common options:
- Try out removable wallpaper
If you’re looking for an impactful but quick solution, wallpaper is always a great fix, not to mention, a removable one. For example, if you’re renting the place, decorating the cabinetry with temporary wallpaper will add personality to the space and solve any design problem you might have.
- Add crackling glaze
Do you want modern pieces of furniture that stand out in your home? Apply crackle glaze finish and you got it! This option will turn your cabinets from shabby to antique and rustic.
With this option, the color showing through the cracks should be the base coat. If you’re satisfied with the existing color of your cabinets, apply the crackle finish directly on the surface. In case you’re changing the shade, make sure you do it once the base coat is fully dry.
- Distress the paint
With a bit of sandpaper, paint, wax, and patience, you’ll easily transform your plain kitchen cabinets into family heirlooms. In case you’d like an “aged” color to show through, as if your cabinets were painted many times before, apply two base paints. Start sanding some of the paint only after they’re completely dry.
Where in Plano, TX can I find reputable kitchen remodelers?
Whether you’re looking for top kitchen features that will increase your home’s appeal or a kitchen layout that works, Elite Remodeling is here to draft your home improvement vision and help you actualize it from start to finish.
Our seasoned crew is at your disposal no matter if you live near the Downtown Station or elsewhere in Plano. Count on us to provide you with prompt and customized solutions, tailored to match all your needs.
Reach out to us for an initial consultation and leave the rest to us!